Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Yet Another Camera Upgrade

Early this summer, I made the decision to upgrade my camera.  I had been rocking the Canon Rebel XSi for three years, and while it still worked just fine, I wanted to sell it while it still had some value.  After a lot of Googling, I decided to buy a refurbished Canon Rebel T4i, a newer model of my old camera.  My goal was to save money (which generally excludes the newest model from consideration), but also to have a model new enough that it wouldn't seem insanely outdated after a year or two.

I got the camera right before my trip to Spain and Italy...but I took the old camera.  I was too worried about something happening to my brand new camera in a foreign country, so I decided I'd rather risk the old standby instead.  I only really started experimenting with my new camera after I got back in mid-June.

So far, I'm very pleased with the results I've been getting.  One of my major complaints with my old camera was that I never felt like the colors I saw in person translated to pictures.  This new camera, on the other hand, produces vibrant photos right from the start.  Probably the strangest thing to get used to is not having to do as much processing with my photos.  I was so used to having to punch up the color for every single picture, that I over-processed the first couple pictures I took and ended up using the unedited original.

One other major difference between my current camera and my old camera is the ability to take video.  I haven't had an opportunity to experiment with the video setting just yet, but I'm excited to try it out to see what I can do.  My GoPro (see previous post) is wonderful for quick videos, but if I ever want to try something a little more artistic, I need to know how to film on this camera.  As a disclaimer, I will say that videography is well outside of my wheelhouse.  I dabble, but I don't really know what I'm doing...

Anyway, here are a few sample pictures I've taken since getting the new camera.  I'm pleased so far, and I should be able to have more material for blog posts as I sift through all of the accessories that came with it!






No comments:

Post a Comment