Thursday, August 7, 2014

Experiments: Macro/Wide Angle Lens Attachments

When I bought my camera, a variety of accessories arrived with it.  I haven't had time to figure out how many of them work, but I had some extra time to mess around with them today.

The first experiment involved a macro lens and wide angle lens attachment combo as shown below.



This seemed like an odd combination, so I initially took off the wide angle portion to test the macro portion alone.  First, I took a picture with my 18-55 mm lens (not zoomed in at all), and then I took the same picture with the macro attachment.  These were the results:

Without macro attachment
With macro attachment

Clearly, the second picture allows for a much closer view in the same picture.  I tried to go as far in as I could, which resulted in many very blurry/grainy shots.  This was the best one I managed:

As close as possible


The macro attachment definitely allows for a "zoom-in" effect, but the extreme close-up was less than desirable.  I don't want to judge it too quickly because my poor technique or the wrong setting may have caused the extreme blurriness.  I'll have to try this on a flower or some other outdoor subject to see if I can improve my results.

As for the macro/wide angle combo, here's an example.  I'm not wildly impressed, but as stated before, I might just be using this wrong.  The top photo is with my kit lens alone, and the bottom photo is with the attachments.  I'm still not 100% sure if these attachments are supposed to be used together always.  Until I can figure out a way to attach the wide angle attachment directly to my lens, they'll have to be a combo set.  

Without any attachments

With macro/wide angle lens attachment combo

I'll be doing plenty of my own internet research on these accessories, but let me know if you have any opinions/advice on how to use these (or if they're even worth it).  



No comments:

Post a Comment