Friday, May 13, 2011

Developing Your Own Style

I'm going to try make this post short and to the point.  Basically, the title says it all: try to develop your own  unique style of taking and editing photos.  It's always a good idea to take pointers from others, but there's no enjoyment in mimicking someone else's work.  It's very likely that your style will come of its own accord as you experiment and improve your skills.  The best way hold yourself back is by trying too hard to replicate someone else's technique!

To illustrate what I am talking about when I say "style," I will post links below to three Flickr photostreams rather than trying to put the differences into words. One photostream is mine, one is my sister's, and one is my mother's.  If you take a look through some of these pictures, you will see that,  despite the fact that we are blood relatives, our photos look quite different.

My Photostream

My Sister's Photostream

My Mother's Photostream

There really isn't much more I can say to add to this topic.  The message is simple: Do your own thing!

Also, I would highly recommend checking out my mother and sister's photos.  My mother only really took up photography a year or two ago and has no training whatsoever.  My sister is only 14, and she's already taking photos that are 1000 times better than what I took at that age.  They both keep me on my toes and make me want to continue to improve.  I want to say that they are my competition, but inspiration is probably a better word to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment