Friday, March 4, 2011

The "Flower" Button

I want to dedicate this post to the mysterious "flower" button that appears on most digital cameras.  This button actually turns on the macro setting, which is used for close-up photography. It is extremely useful when photographing something small because it provides better clarity and detail.  As I mentioned in the previous post, it also gives you that nice blur in the background.  Some of you may have used the macro setting without even realizing it.  Many cameras, like my newer one, will automatically kick on the macro setting when the camera is trying to focus on an object near the lens (when on Auto).  If your camera is older or if you aren't using Auto, you might have to turn it on manually by pushing the flower button.

Personally, I really enjoy using this setting.  It's the only special camera setting that I use frequently, and I think it really improves the look of my photos.  Here are a few of my photos that involved the use of the macro button.




Just to put things into perspective, the subjects of each of these photographs are NOT large items.  The owl in the last photograph is probably an inch tall or smaller.  Macro is an interesting way to blow up a small object to a much larger size.  When I take pictures of some of these small trinkets, leaves, flowers, etc. I don't even notice certain details until I upload the photos and can see the object at 10 times its size on my computer screen.  

As I said before, if you have never used macro, it is definitely something that you will want to try.  Here is a picture of the button you're looking for in case you're confused (the location of the button will vary depending on the brand and model of camera):


No comments:

Post a Comment